Tuesday, August 30, 2022

Moved In

Leah and I arrived in Utah on a Saturday. Colby was staying at my parents' house in between apartments. We pulled out Leah's boxes left there from her freshman year when we had to grab her fast and drive home in March of that year when the pandemic hit and everything closed down. I hope she has a normal full college year this time. We sorted her stuff and Colby's stuff, made a list of new things to buy, and washed all bedding and towels. 

On Sunday we spent time with family, got things ready for moving in the next morning, and walked the neighborhood in the dark. 

Monday we loaded 3 cars (my mom brought a load) and dropped stuff off at their new apartments. I helped Leah unpack some things and make the bed, but otherwise left a lot for her to do on her own. I held myself back from wanting to help with it all. We drove back to my parents' house when it felt like too much to finish that day. Then we went with my mom to Thanksgiving Point and walked the long path through the different gardens, which Colby had never done before and Leah had only done in winter. It was nice to take a break from moving. 

On Tuesday we moved them completely out of my parents' house and finished taking items to their apartments. We shopped Target, Walmart, and Ikea because so many shelves were picked over by all the other college families and we couldn't get all our things at just one store. Leah and I walked the BYU campus to find all her classes, and we got what she needed from the bookstore for her classes. I left her with a lot to sort in her new apartment, and Colby didn't want any help so I didn't do anything there. They both slept in their apartments that night.

Wednesday morning I drove down one last time to take them grocery shopping so it could give me peace of mind that they have food before I left them for good. Then I drove far up to Layton for lunch with a friend that lasted for 5 1/2 hours. I came back and went with my mom over to my sister's house to visit for a while and take lots of her CDs for my drive home. 

Thursday morning I left, wishing I had time to stay and do more things and see more people. I was gone from Friday to Friday, with four of those days just driving.

Leah wanted a shared room, and thankfully her room is bigger than we expected, with a full closet for each girl. She has a bathroom inside the bedroom too for both of them to share. She sent me pictures after she organized her room.



Colby wanted a private room this time, so he found a good one and has lots of space and storage areas. He also has his own bathroom in the hallway, and there's a washing machine and dryer inside the apartment which will be nice after years of using coin machines or driving up to my parents' house to do laundry. I don't know if I'll ever get pictures of his room all organized. This is before we moved all his belongings in.