I waited until I got home from traveling to start a daily anti-seizure medicine to prevent migraines. Then some of the common side effects quickly hit…extreme tiredness, dizziness, confusion and brain fog, eye pain and vision problems, irritated lungs and asthma flare up, mood change, tingly fingers and legs and toes, numbness on half my body, blacking out in the shower. More common side effects are still possible, like kidney stones. It’s definitely not the right medicine for me. I hated it and did not tolerate it well.
The medicine takes weeks to fully work, and even then the goal is to lessen the frequency of migraines, not end them completely. Let them happen occasionally instead of chronically. So I felt horrible from side effects, and since it was too soon to feel any benefits from the medicine, I was still getting migraines in addition to all those negative side effects.
I was trying to commit to this medication for two months until my neurologist appointment, but I now prefer migraines over this mess. I can't imagine dealing with this long term. So I stopped the medicine while I'm in the early phases and can do it without complications. I still feel weird as I come out of the drug stupor, but I feel better than I have the past two weeks of taking that terrible medicine. Side effects are going away and I'm feeling more normal each day.
Maybe there’s a better medication for me that I won’t react so negatively to? I’ll discuss later with the neurologist. I am not okay with trading one problem for many more.



