There's no ideal medicine that makes migraines go away for good. There are only medicines for other conditions (anti-seizure, blood pressure, antidepressants) that happen to also work on migraines. Within each of those categories, there are several options to try. The goal of all these medicines is to lessen the migraines to a much more manageable amount each month instead of daily.
The first week of new migraine medicine, it made no difference and the migraines continued often. I didn't expect it to work that quickly anyway. I was extremely tired as I got used to the new medicine which causes drowsiness, and one day I took a six-hour nap.
The second week there was constant pressure in my head that didn't build into a big migraine but also didn't go away.
The third week one big migraine finally hit, and then the pressure in my head was off and on for the rest of the week....meaning sometimes I felt nothing at all, which hasn't happened in years.
This is week four. I'm not feeling as tired from the medicine anymore. I have no other side effects like the medicine I tried in December, and I'm relieved about that. I’ve had more moments with no pain and no pressure at all, and it's so strange because those have been constant for 6-7 years. I forgot what it feels like without those, to not hurt to some degree every day.
And then today I woke with a raging migraine. So it’s going to be this kind of day:
