Saturday, November 8, 2025

Checking In

It was a rough week. I spent a lot of it in bed. Nausea hit me and I was struggling to eat even simple things like grapes and a carrot. I did rally and make it out of the house on Friday for plans with friends, but first I had cancelled because I was so sick that morning, and then it passed for a while. I only ate 1/4 of my lunch at the restaurant with them because I didn't know how it would affect me. By Friday night I was in bad shape again, but today I'm eating better. I can feel my body trying so hard to get through all the bad and heal.

Paige was offered a job! She immediately accepted and then put in her two weeks' notice at Target. She had another interview this week and has a different one next week. Each job has to do with archival work for different museums, I believe. She'll have a full schedule soon as she might be juggling multiple jobs, a new unpaid internship opportunity, and grad school that starts in January.

After 18 months, Colby got a promotion and a nice raise! It's so nice to know people value your kids and their contributions. 

Workmen keep coming every week to fix one-year problems with our house. It's super frustrating to wait for them and then they're late or never show or don't fix it right and have to come again. I have some crazy stories -- one of them is about the giant roofer who backed me into a corner and loudly tried to intimidate me and told me my husband has to stop marching around our roof tiles, cracking them and kicking in the pipes on the roof so that our roof will leak. Ummm what??!!  Dan has not. Dan pulled up a drone video he took after we moved in, and there were the same cracked tiles and the bent pipe that existed before we even moved in. Most workmen have been polite and competent, but not that one.



Dan has a friend he bikes with every other Friday (their day off work). Last weekend we went to the Broadway show "& Juliet" with him and his wife. If you get the chance to see the show, don't. None of us liked it, for different reasons.


Well I thought this was funny. Paige did not. There are Little Free Libraries all over our neighborhood, and I often check them for books and bring some home to read and then return them later. I've noticed these three books have not been picked by anyone in months. 

As I've walked with Dan, Colby, or Leah, we've sometimes taken them out, read a funny steamy passage, then laughed and put them back. Last week I decided to rescue them. I brought them home and found places for them in Paige's bookshelf. She came home and noticed one quickly, then saw the other books soon after. She knew the vibe was off in her room right away. She told me to stop tainting her bookshelf, I should give these to my other daughter instead, etc. etc. etc.

But Leah's currently too busy being a grad student to read these trashy novels. 

Carson visited Little America for one of their ice cream cones! For 20 years, we stopped at Little America as we drove to Utah from Minnesota. It was always our last stop before finishing our drive. We had NO idea Carson would stand right there as a missionary someday. 

He even took a picture of the rocks where they stood as little kids and filled their own bags. It made me nostalgic.

Dan played around with Artificial Intelligence one day. This is what AI thinks Dan looks like doing his favorite things. This is NOT Dan or his clothes or places he's been, but at the same time it's also kinda Dan. Creepy.


Finally, we bought another car to replace the 2008 Jetta that has 170,000  miles. Three kids have driven it and it's been a great car that just keeps going, but rust is overtaking it thanks to Minnesota, and now it keeps dying and stranding Paige at inconvenient times. We found an incredible deal on a 2017 Jetta that's in great shape with 80,000 miles. We bought it last weekend. The dealer is replacing the windshield and the backup camera lens which was cracked, and then we'll go pick it up.