I started antibiotics last Saturday. They're different than regular antibiotics that affect the whole body. These only affect stomach bacteria. I quickly learned about something called SIBO bacterial "die-off" where antibiotics hit the bacteria hard and it releases toxins. SIBO becomes worse before it gets better. I felt horrible and was in so much pain for two full days with no break, and then suddenly I felt amazing. I could eat and not hurt. My stomach stopped getting huge every day. The loose/bigger/stretchy clothes I always wear had more room in them. I was soooooo happy my stomach felt normal again all week. I forgot how good that feels, it's been so long.
But.
SIBO hit hard again tonight, and I don't know why. I'm still on antibiotics for another week. I'm still eating the most boring meals and feeling hungry for more exciting food. I ate small meals today, and everything was in compliance. Still, for some reason my stomach got huge and tight and painful again. I am so frustrated and sad.
SIBO can be hard to eradicate. I'm worried it will keep happening. Some people need many rounds of different SIBO antibiotics before they're cured. Some people are cured for a few months or years but it happens again. I really really really hope I can just take one round and it's gone for good, but I'm also expecting it won't be that simple. It depends on why SIBO happened in the first place, which is different for everyone.
Right now a lot of my meals look like this. I feel like I can't stand eating any more mushy plain zucchini.
But I did make German pancakes and substituted gluten-free flour and almond milk (I've been using MALK brand because it only has three ingredients: water, almonds, and salt). They didn't puff much, but they tasted okay.
And I made gluten-free banana bread made with maple syrup (all low FODMAP approved), and it was so soft which is surprising for gluten-free baked goods.
I cautiously ordered a gluten-free pizza and ate a small amount of it and did okay. I haven't eaten pizza since January. Paige was being difficult for pictures, haha.
So this SIBO mess is still a journey. Tonight I'm very discouraged, but I'll try again tomorrow.



