Tuesday, June 13, 2023

Perspective

There are weeks when hard things combine and hit at the same time and it’s difficult to see the future and a way forward.

That was my last week.

On top of that, a migraine was forming and slowly building until it fully surfaced Friday night. I'm holding steady at one big migraine each week, much better than daily migraines but still not ideal.

And then. 

Friday night I found out a friend’s husband drowned earlier that day. This family lived here for several years and moved away during the pandemic. They have 13 kids, the oldest is 24 years old and the youngest is 4. The dad drowned on a white river rafting trip after making sure everyone else got back on the raft and to shore, including four of their kids who were with him on the trip.

And all my troubles dwindled, because I'm not a new widow who unexpectedly has to mourn a tragic death, comfort traumatized children, plan a funeral, make extremely hard decisions, and figure out how to raise 13 kids with no spouse and no more income.