Surgery day happened. My brother did the surgery and my dad watched, which made me feel super calm. I'm not the type to panic about surgery, but this gave me an extra level of trust knowing I was being well taken care of by the best. My dad told me later he was surprised to see my cataract was as dense as people's cataracts in their 60s, and he confirmed it was definitely time to get rid of it. Yay, I wasn't imagining or exaggerating my cataracts.
The surgery was only a few minutes long, but I was sedated and don't remember it at all. Some people have a memory of it or are aware enough, but not me. I vaguely remember being in the recovery room after surgery and I was asked to pick out one snack from a basket and would I like a water or a juice? My next memory is me having 3 bags of snacks in my lap and clutching a Dr. Pepper hard like they were going to take it away from me. Haha, I do know I was very hungry since I couldn't eat before the surgery and I'm taking a medicine that makes me hungry all the time, but I don't remember greedily taking extra snacks or demanding a different drink than they offered. I'm a little embarrassed and I wonder what I said to get 3 snacks and a Dr. Pepper. I was groggy and went back to sleep for a few hours once my mom took me home (clutching my Dr. Pepper the whole way home - I sort of remember someone offered to hold it while I got in the car and I said no and I held it tighter, oh my gosh I'm embarrassed.).
I’m in between eye surgeries and don't know when I can get the other eye done. One eye is adjusting to the new lens, the other eye very much has a cataract still that blocks my vision. My sight is weird at the moment. I have normal, expected visual disturbances from the new lens that should improve with time but are strange to get used to right now.
Hello grandma. The surgery reception area is named after her. I miss her.
I’m shocked at the vivid colors and details all around me. I just keep staring. I often close my good eye to see with only my yellowed, blurry eye, then switch to my fixed eye and everything is clearer and so colorful, and the shadows and haze are gone. It amazes me every time. I’m especially loving beautiful, colorful arrangements of flowers.




