Tuesday, August 29, 2023

NYC, Day Two

We spent 6 hours at The Met art museum and still didn’t see it all.






This was my favorite exhibit. These eyes were used in a Roman statue. Leah and I just watched BBC’s Pride and Prejudice, and I still had the lines in my head about Elizabeth’s “fine eyes.”

We came to NYC and The Met for a very specific purpose. Paige is writing her Art History thesis on two wall paintings from a villa near Pompeii. The wall paintings are displayed at The Met. It was a great excuse for all of us to see NYC for the first time, and to do it now as she’s writing her thesis. She’s been researching these paintings for months. She got to see them in person finally.


These are other remnants of wall paintings from the same villa. The villa was excavated, some wall paintings were extracted, then another volcano covered the villa again and it's never been re-excavated.

We walked half of Central Park.








We found the temple, surrounded by tall city buildings on every side.

Walk, walk, walk.





We spent time in Broadway and Times Square. It felt a lot like Vegas. Glad we experienced it, not rushing to go back.





We also shopped the giant Macy’s store on 34th Street, which calls itself the world’s largest department store with 1.25 million square feet. I’m a shopper, and I was overwhelmed. They also have wooden escalators that are 100 years old. They’re so loud but I was fascinated by them and kept riding them up and down all the many floors, searching for our family members who were spread out over the large store but would be gone by the time I got to where they said they were. They do have quiet modern metal escalators, but these are way more unique.