Wednesday, August 9, 2023

Snapshots

All day we've been watching updates on the shocking, devastating fires in Maui that destroyed the shops, the historic buildings, the harbor, the banyan tree, really all of Lahaina. Resorts and towns are being evacuated. People ran into the ocean to escape the fire. Hospitals are full of burn victims. Fatalities have been found. Historical artifacts destroyed. Hundreds of homes gone. So much destruction and loss in a place we love so much.



I'm still thinking about the kindness of my friend Debbie who showed up with a full dinner, even meatless ravioli for Paige, the day I most needed it -- back in town too late the night before, no food in house, surgery happened early in the morning an hour away and lasted a few hours so I couldn't grocery shop for anything refrigerated during it, got Paige settled at home but stayed close by for a few hours while she was groggy and at risk for complications, had to drive to the airport to pick up Dan and kids once Paige was more alert and okay, luggage didn't arrive. This meal, hot and waiting for us when we got home, truly felt like comfort food and was so delicious. It was the exact thing I needed and was worrying about...what to do for dinner that night when I hadn't had the chance to shop and prepare for it, and life felt chaotic.


Dan hung plaques of his patents he's been collecting for a few years, and he left room for more coming.


Paige has been digging through her belongings, deciding which decor and clothes and shoes and books and CDs and magazines she's done with, and selling them online. Earlier this summer we set up a packing area and it's been used often. She mailed away three more packages today.

Leah's minimizing!! and going through all clothes and shoes, making a pile to donate or sell. It's hard for her to part with belongings, even if she doesn't use them or like them anymore, but she's doing it.

Leah made pumpkin scones, wanting fall to come early...for the cooler weather and sweaters and pumpkin flavors and smells, not for the schoolwork.

Leah and I went to a bridal shower for our friend Ashli who was absolutely beaming with happiness. I look at this picture and still see them as young girls at YW camp together years ago. 


My friend Jen sent me a sweet, homemade card in the mail with kind words inside. Made me happy.


Lastly, Carson got his long hair chopped off tonight. His last haircut was 22 months ago.