Six months ago on January 17th, Dan was laid off along with 170 other employees. Since then, another 100 have been laid off in smaller groups, and another 100 have quit and found other jobs instead of waiting around for more layoffs. Morale has been low, as nobody feels safe in their employment. This week, exactly at the 6-month mark on June 17th, another large round of layoffs happened. This time there were 240 total employees cut, with 120 of those at Dan's former location. All yesterday he got phone calls and texts from friends with names of people who've been let go. It's shocking. We're grateful that we're this far along in the process instead of just starting, and it all eventually worked out and our house is under contract to be sold and he is employed again.
Thursday, July 18, 2024
Walking and Layoffs
I've walked many miles on this trail with my friend. I was going to miss it when we leave, but on this week's walk I got 22 mosquito bites all over my legs (I had long sleeves on or else I would have gotten lots of bites on my arms too), deer flies kept swarming my head, and it was very hot and humid which I don’t enjoy.