Wednesday, July 24, 2024

New House

Movers come next Monday and Tuesday. We can't fit everything into our next house that has no basement, no upstairs, no indoor storage closets, and one less bedroom than we're used to. I'm going through our belongings, weeding out more and more unnecessary things before movers come. I'm also making plans of what we need to buy to maximize the space we'll have and make it work well, and how best to use all the generous garage space for safely storing things in Arizona heat. I'm specifically looking at storage cabinets with doors on them so creepy crawly things are less able to get into our stuff.

Our new house has mountains with trails down the street, a basketball court, pickleball courts, a splash park, and playgrounds. Not all neighborhoods have those things. Dan's excited about the pickleball courts. I wish we had a pool too, but maybe that'll come later as the neighborhood grows, or maybe we'll put our own in our backyard.



Sometimes I panic and regret not picking a much larger house with an upstairs and loft and more living areas and a fifth bedroom and more storage options. I've freaked out a few times, then pulled it together again and determined to make this work well and that it's for the best for our next phase. We really don't need a huge house at this point or lots of extra stuff anymore. Some of those big houses we looked at are older and not in great shape like a new one will be. Bigger houses didn't have this nice RV garage Dan wants, and HOAs don't allow us to store trailers and machines on the property. I also don't want to air condition an enormous house with an upstairs and vaulted ceilings. Once I figure it all out, this house will fit us great, and we're excited it's brand new in a neighborhood we like. Buying brand new also allowed us to lock in at a super low interest rate because the builders buy down the rate as an incentive, so it made more sense to go this route.