Tuesday, March 21, 2023

Cautiously Optimistic

One week ago today I woke up feeling different. My head felt clear and free from any pain. Usually if I’m not battling a full migraine, there’s at least a dull ache at all times. (In December, a CT scan showed stubborn inflammation along the top of my sinuses causing the migraines, even after a few rounds of steroids.) I was sure the headache-free day wouldn’t last, but now I’ve had no headache medicine in a week, no caffeine, no need for my headache hat, and less naps and feeling worn out. My sinuses/congestion have also calmed in the past week, though I’ve still occasionally needed medicine. My smell and taste come and go, and that’s still frustrating for me. Some insomnia, but last night I slept deeply. I haven’t felt depression, anxiousness, hopelessness, and SAD that have followed me to some degree for many years and made it hard to handle trials and life, and this winter has been very manageable. I don’t like winter still, but it’s felt very different this year. Asthma has been under control for months. And GERD is nonexistent for me now. I eat what I want, when I want, and I couldn’t do that for at least 5 years without pain. 

I took my 6th shot Sunday. I’m dealing with a large, red, circular, sore spot and rash the size of my fist on my stomach now, so I’m back in my comfiest clothes until it goes away. I was initially told a lot of people taking these shots notice a difference at 3 months but for sure by 6 months. That sounded so far away when I started the shots and as I felt miserable along the way, and now it’s next week for me. Could the shots actually be working?  Chronic inflammation seems to be going away. I feel different.