Friday, July 3, 2026

Sinus Saga and Some Rosacea

I was sick with a cold in May, which turned into a sinus infection (always, my whole life, even after sinus surgery) that was treated the first week of June but has not completely gone away (I usually need multiple rounds of antibiotics and prednisone to get rid of them, that's just how it is for me). I also lost my smell and taste again. I was taking a biologic shot to keep asthma and sinus problems calm for 18 months before moving here, and then I started back up for all of 2025, but this January the asthma office messed up the renewal paperwork to keep me on it for another year, and after two months of me calling back and forth with the specialty pharmacy and the office, the asthma doctor suggested since I hadn't been taking the shot for those two months, I should stay off the shot and see how I do. Well, this is how I do off the shot: sinus infection and multiple rounds of medicine I'd rather avoid. The asthma/allergy doctor has been treating my asthma and sinus problems, but I decided I finally need to get set up with an ENT doctor. 

I found an amazing ENT doctor who had a cancellation this week, and I'm so happy with him. He listened to me and agreed about treatments and talked with me on a different level because of my long history and experience with sinus problems. Then he scoped my nose and showed me pictures of all the nasal polyps that have regrown. He also showed me the active sinus infection. Seeing the proof of polyps and infection validates how bad I've been feeling and why I lost my smell and taste again. My body is so good at making inflammation which wreaks havoc everywhere, ugh. So he's putting me back on Dupixent, and his office is great about staying on top of the paperwork that's needed. They even gave me the first two shots to start while I wait for the specialty pharmacy to start deliveries again. The whole staff was so friendly and helpful. It's an amazing medicine that works well for me, and without it, I can't smell or taste, I get infections, the polyps grow out of control, and I have to take too many medicines to calm things again. The ENT doctor also gave me stronger antibiotics and prednisone to take for a few weeks because this infection didn't go away with a short round. I'll be feeling better soon, phew.


I related too well to all these posters around the room. I have most of these problems:



Also, some days the Rosacea is calm, and some days it flares. Today is a flare day just because. 

But for sure it's been way more controlled thanks to three daily topical medicines I've been using for the past 18 months. Sometimes old pictures like this pop up and I realize it used to be uncontrolled and so painful and itchy and burning. I'm thankful for progress in any of my health troubles.