Next we visited the nearby police memorial, which was two long low walls covered in names of police who died during service. Carson looked some of them up.
We drove through Chinatown. This is the Friendship Arch.
We did sightseeing around the capitol building.
Then we spent time at the National American Art and Portrait Museum.
These are some pieces I liked:
But I always like to find weird art too. These win. Why did the artist paint so many extra hands for FDR? It’s ridiculous and awesome and I'm glad he did it. And what’s up with this woman’s hair and sour face?
We walked through a beautiful indoor courtyard. Right before things went bad.
Coming back into the building, walking on marble floors, I turned a corner and slipped on a puddle. I almost fell down but steadied myself and in doing so felt it splash up my leg and ankle. I assumed it was water. As I caught myself, I looked down and Dan says this was the funniest part as he watched me do a double take and then my eyes got absolutely huge and my expression became horrified. It dawned on him at the same time as me … it wasn’t water. It was throw up. The biggest, deepest, widest puddle I’ve ever seen. Orange tinted with some chunks too. I wish I didn’t have those details in my mind. I felt it soaking into my pant leg and dripping down my leg. I’m so sick thinking about it. I almost contributed to that puddle with my own throw up. I looked around wildly for where to go next, not knowing I was following that person’s same path and thoughts. I ran for the nearest bathroom and splashed through three more puddles. Oh my gosh, there was so much fresh throw up everywhere. How was there so much?! I reached the bathroom - a single family bathroom - and grabbed the handle, the same handle I realized the sick person had grabbed because it too was covered in throw up. The bathroom was locked (of course, because they were in there recovering and cleaning up) and I turned, searching the area and asking nearby guards who saw the whole thing - the person throw up and then me splash through it - where the next bathroom was located. I was so distressed. Dan and Carson were highly entertained. It was soaking my pants and now my hand had throw up dripping from it. I reached the next bathroom and washed my hands over and over. I scrubbed my leg and pants. Then I washed my hands again and again. Hours later, I’m still disgusted. Dan and Carson laugh every time it comes up again. These are my pants hours after I thought I scrubbed it off well enough. It’s on my shoes too. I may never wear them again. And look how high it splashed. That was quite a puddle, followed by three more puddles. So gross.
I recovered but only a little. We visited the Lincoln Memorial and war memorials next. Ate more Greek food at a different restaurant, then finally made it to the hotel so I could change clothes and scrub my leg. What a day.