Friday, September 25, 2026

War

In early August, I planted three houseplants. Within a week, we started seeing gnats in our house. They've only multiplied and are flying all over the house, and they're driving me crazy. 


There are different house gnats you can get: fruit flies, fungus gnats, and drain gnats. We've sometimes had fruit flies in past houses, but these particular ones aren't bothering the fruit on the counter or anything in the garbage, so I don't think that's what we have. Fungus gnats are found near plants. I'm quite sure that's what we have, as gnats fly up out of the plants when I water them, and they started showing up after I got the houseplants. Drain gnats lay eggs in the gross stuff deep in drain pipes.

In case we have fungus gnats, this week I banished the plants outside. I might try to save them with a hydrogen peroxide and water mixture that will kill larvae. Or I might just throw them away so the gnats stop. I do like the plants, but I hate the gnats.

In case we have drain gnats, I poured baking soda and vinegar down every drain, waited 30 minutes, and followed with boiling water. Then I closed and covered each drain and left them that way for hours.

And then I plugged in 8 Zevo flying insect traps throughout the house. I'm serious about wanting these gnats gone. So far there are 29 gnats in the traps. I'm hoping with all these measures, we can finally get rid of the pesky gnats soon.